The Russian side was not ready for the 4th round of negotiations. This should be judged on the basis of the demands they have put forward.
And yet Russia is losing more and more soldiers. Economic sanctions continue working against Russia. Multinational corporations are gradually withdrawing from the Russian market, and Roskomnadzor is increasingly restricting Russians' access to international media. Has such pressure affected the Kremlin's aspirations and plans? We talk about this and the critical vector of negotiations for Ukraine in an interview Front News Ukraine with Yevgen Magda of the Institute for World Policy.
- Has the Russian side changed its values?
- EM : No. Their position, as before, is shaped by V. Putin's painful notion about the capabilities of Russian troops.
- We are all striving for progress in these negotiations. What is the way to achieve this important goal?
- EM : Artistically speaking, the two sides are on opposite sides of a precipice. Ideally, we want to build a bridge between them. To do this we are looking for a place where the distance between the edges of the canyon is the shortest. But as Mechnikov the Montler said in 12 Chairs: "Consent is the product of complete non-resistance between both parties. I would not expect Ukraine to make any concessions. Ukraine's position at the negotiations is shaped by the position of our defenders, their successes and the failure of the Russian "blitzkrieg". Russia, on the other hand, is shaping its position with missile strikes on the Yavoriv test site and Kiev, artillery strikes on Kharkov, and the destruction of the city of Izyum. I could mention such attacks for a very long time. They absolutely do not reckon with the world community.
History will judge everyone. But we live inside the historical process, and there is no time to wait.
- So what specific demand should be finalized for the next round of talks, given the success of our defenders on the fronts?
- EM : A prolonged ceasefire and the possibility of evacuating people from the combat zone. After all, there is literally a humanitarian disaster in Mariupol. These needs cannot be denied.
I should add that I know the determination of the Azov regiment and marines in Mariupol. They refused to evacuate and will fight to the end.
Front News Ukraine